Q: my grand am will not start it has different kind of spark plugs will that make a no start on the car

friends car car was running okay he decided to change spark plugs and problems started he has different kind of spark plugs it has a delco , auto light, and denso and we don't have any codes on it... it will crank but no start it has spark and fuel pressure about 45 psi we were thinking maybe the no start was because of spark plugs ? if we spray throttle cleaner the car will start and will run fine and will start again when the car is warm without spray.. come back in the morning and it will not start does not have security light on what do you think we check more on it or have you have something like this happen ....hoping you can help us thanks Art

A: Hey there: Looks like you’re chasing an el...

Hey there:

Looks like you’re chasing an electrical gremlin here. First, the brand of spark plug may in some cases cause issues with starting. However, beyond brand is making sure it’s the right model and has the correct gap is more critical. The fact that you’re trying to start the car with throttle cleaner is a red flag. This method used to work really well with older, carburetor fueled systems, but with today’s fuel injected systems that are monitored by ECU’s, that typically causes a huge overload of energy, can fry the sensors and put you back to square one.

My advice here is to contact a certified mechanic and have them diagnose the starting problem you’re having, as by trying to fix it, the problems with the Grand Am may have gotten worse unfortunately.