Q: Shifter loose transmission stuck 1992 Ford F150

Hello i have a 1992 f150 with a 302 engine and an E04D automatic transmission. The truck has 163000 miles. The transmission is stuck in drive second and it won't budge when i go under and try to move it manually. The shifter cable is brand new and it became loose and wont lock in any gear. I'm not sure because the shift lever ob the transmission wont move.

Hi there - unhook the shifter from the transmission lever, and try to move the transmission lever to the Park position. If this is successful, start working your way back towards the shift lever on the column. Re-connect the cable at the transmission, but disconnect the cable at the steering column. Does the shift lever operate smoothly on the column? If not, could be a bushing in the column that is worn out. For diagnostic assistance, I recommend a transmission not shifting inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.