Car gets stuck in park and won't start SOMETIMES. Hear on...

Q: Car gets stuck in park and won't start SOMETIMES. Hear one click upon starting but starts working after a few times.

asked by on June 22, 2017

We have had this car for 3 months. About a week and a half ago we had an issue where we went to shift the car out of park to drive after the cave was already started and it wouldn't shift out of park. I was at work and my girlfriend was stuck at the airport so I looked up and realized she could override the gear shifter. She did that and was fine but we realized the brake lights weren't working. This fixed itself the next morning but happened again a few days later. It hasn't happened since. Then a few days ago, the car wouldn't start. It would just do one click and that was it. It wouldn't turn over. But after 30 seconds, we were able to start it and this happened again one more time yesterday. It seems to still be working well with minimal problems but I do want to discover the problem. Are they interconnected? Is it two separate issues? Thanks for your time.

The shift interlock and the intermittent starting issue are likely separate issues. However, the brake light issue may be related to the shift interlock problem as the circuitry and components are common. The intermittent starting is relatively easy to diagnose. During the next such episode, simply check for 12 volt power to the starter solenoid with the key held in the start position. If 12 volts is reaching the solenoid with the key in the start position, and the always hot lead to the starter has no voltage drop, that likely means you need a new starter. On the other hand, if there is no power to the solenoid, that means there is an interruption somewhere in the starting circuit. To obtain a resolution of this issue, you can request a hard start diagnostic. With regard to the shift interlock, and brake light issue, the relevant service to request is a shift interlock diagnostic. If you request these services, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.