Q: My engine is slightly knocking. I need to replace oil pump. Will it be worth replacing? Will the engine be okay after replacment?

asked by on September 06, 2017

My car has a slight knocking from the engine. I know its never a good sign. The car is a 92 Buick Regal ltd 2 door coupe. I figured out it was my oil pump that needs replacing seeing how when i check my oil its full but not shooting to the pistons. This is an old car with low miles. If i replace the oil pump will it stop the knocking and if not will the engine be quote on quote trash? I guess what im really asking is if its worth to fix? Also i stopped driving it when i noticed the knock. I had not driven on the freeway at all either.

It is very likely that the engine could be bad based on the sound. Most likely the oil pump going out caused other damage. On an older vehicle such as a 1992, the cost if an engine replacement may exceed the value of the car. Be sure to research this before making a final decision.