Q: My engine is shaking and smelling like gas and my exhaust is real smokey and it's driving slow won't speed up

My engine is shaking and smelling like gas and my exhaust is real smokey and it's driving slow won't speed up

Hi There, What you are describing sounds like you may have a clogged catalytic converter. A clogged or failing catalytic converter can cause the vehicle to have poor fuel economy. As you may already know, the catalytic converter converts toxic exhaust gases into less harmful pollutants that are suitable to be expelled into the atmosphere. When this is clogged, this causes these gases to be backed up into the exhaust system not allowing the engine to breathe properly. When this happens, the engine is forced to work much harder to expel these gases. This often results in the engine bogging down, hesitating, shaking and causing very poor fuel economy. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. My engine is shaking and smelling like gas and my exhaust is real smokey and it's driving slow won't speed up