Q: My check engine light is on.

My check engine light is on and I need to get my car inspected to get it registered. I've had the code read, and they said that it is related to the cooling system. I've already had the thermostat changed as a first step in diagnosis.

Hi there. A professional mechanic would begin the diagnostic system by downloading all stored error codes and determining, which one of the 40 OBD-II codes related to cooling system components was given to you. The point we’re making is that there could be multiple issues with the cooling system or one in particular, but simply getting a code and assuming it was a thermostat is not the best or most efficient way of solving this issue. You should have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete the check engine light inspection first; so they can pinpoint what exactly needs to be repaired and reset in order to resolve the check engine light and allow you to pass the safety / emissions inspection.

3. My check engine light is on.