Q: My Check Engine Light is on and my engine starts to shake when accelerating.

my engine light comes on and my engine starts shaking when I accelerate. someone said that the cylinder was losing compression but I should change the spark plugs.

Hi there. Don’t change anything until you’ve determined the cause of the Check Engine Light and shaking. First retrieve the codes that may be stored; most likely these are misfire codes so investigate the cause of the misfire; simply changing spark plugs may not repair the problem. It could very well be mechanical and a compression test would clear the air on this part.

However, you could have a failing ignition coil and this will definitely give you what you’re experiencing. Without the codes, there is really no true starting point. I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to perform an inspection to determine why the Check Engine Light is on and replace the ignition coil if necessary.

3. My Check Engine Light is on and my engine starts to shake when accelerating.