Q: My Check Engine Light is on and my engine starts to shake when accelerating.

my engine light comes on and my engine starts shaking when I accelerate. someone said that the cylinder was losing compression but I should change the spark plugs.

Hi there. Don’t change anything until you’ve determined the cause of the Check Engine Light and shaking. First retrieve the codes that may be stored; most likely these are misfire codes so investigate the cause of the misfire; simply changing spark plugs may not repair the problem. It could very well be mechanical and a compression test would clear the air on this part.

However, you could have a failing ignition coil and this will definitely give you what you’re experiencing. Without the codes, there is really no true starting point. I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to perform an inspection to determine why the Check Engine Light is on and replace the ignition coil if necessary.

• My Check Engine Light is on and my engine starts to shake when accelerating.