Q: My 2001 Acura MDX is stalling intermittently. It usually takes a jump start to get it going again.

asked by on October 01, 2017

Car is stalling intermittently. It starts fine, then stalls after driving a few miles, usually under low RPM's, but not necessarily. I will be driving along, and with no warning, or lights, it will just die. It usually takes a jump to get it started again. Two mechanics have been unable to duplicate the problem, or find anything wrong. My car's engine was replaced with a newer one 2 years ago, so although the car has 247K miles, the engine has much less. It just passed the California smog check as well. The battery terminals are corroded. Could that be the problem?

It sounds like you may have a weak battery, a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.