Q: My car would not start/turn over. Found a bent push rod and replaced it. Now it will crank but shakes badly and ticks on engine

asked by on December 14, 2017

Car was hesitating and eventually would not start. Code reader Had a misfire on cylinder2 checked it and found a bent push rod. Replaced that now the car will crank but shakes and the front engine has ticking. Code reader says rich mixture.

If the car engine is noisy (ticking) and you already found one bent pushrod, the likelihood is there is other damage and that additional damage accounts for the noise. You can check cylinder compression but even if cylinder compression is good, there can still be deficiencies in the valve train or elsewhere causing the the noise. I would suggest you request an engine noise diagnostic but during that diagnostic the mechanic will also look at the scanned codes and evaluate what repairs might be needed. Resolving the codes might lead to the car running reasonably well but to address the noise, if it is from an internal engine malfunction, that will require mechanical repairs. The bottom line is the mechanic will let you know what the best options are in terms of repairs. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.