Q: Right headlight randomly goes off

The right headlight in my car usually doesn’t work. It occasionally does come on, so it must not be the bulb. But it’s ‘off’ more than it is on. When the bulb is off, the dash indicator light come on - and when the bulb is on, the indicator light goes off. It all seems to be random and there doesn't seem to be any pattern for when it works or not. When I'm driving, it doesn’t turn on or off. If it’s off, it stays off and if on, it stays on. What is causing this and what is your advice for repairing it?

Hello there. A few different parts can cause the bulb to intermittently work. The most likely is the bulb itself beginning to fail. Sometimes they do not fail immediately but will work at times until they fail fully. Other possible causes would be: a wiring issue, the headlight switch, or a failing headlight housing. If you want to have this fixed, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home of office to inspect your lights and make repairs.