Q: My car won't crank

My car stopped receiving fire to the cylinders. I replaced the distributor and it still won't start. I had the timing checked and it is good.

A: Thanks for writing in about your 1996 Mazda...

Thanks for writing in about your 1996 Mazda's starting problem. I've seen this problem with many Mazda's over the years. A common problem that is often overlooked is the cam or crank sensor. When these sensors are faulty, they don't send a signal to the distributor and thus, won't deliver spark to the cylinders. Sometimes when we remove the distributor, the lead wires to these sensors are removed and not reattached correctly. The best bet for you is to have a local ASE certified mechanic inspect your car to determine if you need to replace the crank or cam sensor or if any wiring attached to those sensors is faulty.