Q: My car will turn over but will not start.

I was driving on the highway and my car lost all power, everybody told me it was the catalytic converter so i gutted it, tried to start it and it still sounded the same. so i replaced the alternator and battery still have the same problem so i tried the vacuum line and spark plugs and wires still doing the same thing. it is getting fuel upfront every time we try to get it running you can smell it getting flooded so we have to stop, i can not seem to figure out what the problem is .

A: If the car is "flooding" (getting...

If the car is "flooding" (getting too much fuel), there can be a number of causes. The fuel pressure regulator may have failed, or is not getting the proper vacuum signal. A failed coolant temperature sensor can cause a rich running condition. A failed fuel injector or injectors may cause the symptom as well. If it is in fact "flooding," then the fuel pressure should be checked as a start as well as run a diagnostics on the vehicle. If you need to have this looked at, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to pinpoint the cause of the loss of power and can make the right repair.