Q: P2711 Unexpected mechanical gear disengagement.

asked by on December 28, 2016

Transmission jerks when i shift in P,R, and D. Shifting smoothly 1st-6st gears.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Has the DSG transmission Megatronics unit been replaced recently ? If it has been, then the transmission/clutch adaptation was not performed by the installer. If the Megatronics unit has not been replaced, you can try the clutch adaptation:

1. Turn the ignition ON, but don’t start the engine.
  2. Floor the gas pedal and hold it like that for 20-30 seconds.
  3. Turn the ignition OFF, release the gas pedal.

It’s not the complete DSG reset, but at least your shift logic will be reset.

Also, an output shaft speed sensor issue can be the cause as written about here

If this information doesn’t get you any resolution, have a certified technician look into the fault code to find the exact cause.