Q: My car's timing chain slipped off - 2010 Buick Enclave

asked by on November 03, 2016

I were told to just buy another engine, said I wouldn't know the damage that it could've caused to my engine, by one of my timing chain slipped off until they replace the timing chain.

A timing chain slipping off is not generally something that is catastrophic in terms of engine failure when it comes to a non-interference engine such as yours. Generally, when the timing chain slips off, this means there is an improper adjustment causing too much slack in the chain allowing it to jump one or more teeth on the timing gears. When this happens, the car will generally simply shut down and not start due to incorrect ignition timing.

I would recommend having an expert mechanic, such as from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose and repair your timing chain and suggest a course of action going forward.