Q: Heater doesn’t really work

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox that doesn’t blow hot air out of the vents when it is supposed to. This is a huge problem on really cold nights. The car has around 144,000 miles on it and it is pretty much always driven on the highway. I want to get this problem fixed but I would really prefer if it didn’t get stuck in a shop for weeks, I need this car for work. What can I do?

If your car is not overheating and has the proper amount of antifreeze in the system, then your problem is most likely caused by a problem with the temperature blend door. The blend door failure can cause your temperature control to either be stuck on cold or hot, either of which is a huge issue depending on where you live. When you change the temperature setting in your car, this door basically diverts the airflow to run across the heater core for hot air, or the evaporator core for cold air. In older cars they were controlled by cables, however, most new cars use electronics to control the door. If the electronic control malfunctions you may hear a clicking noise as the door attempts to move to a different position. GM is very aware of this issue and your vehicle may be covered by one or more Technical Service Bulletins (TSB). You can find out what recalls your vehicle is eligible for by taking your VIN number into a local GM dealership where they can provide you with a list of defects related to your vehicle. If the warranty period for your vehicle is expired you can also use a repair service such as Your Mechanic to get an estimate on the cost to repair this issue.