Q: My car's key turns but doesn't come out. My car will not crank either. What is the problem?

My key turn but car wont crank so i figured it was my neautral safety switch, but also my key turns but will not come out. Help please.

A: Start by gently wiggling the key to the lef...

Start by gently wiggling the key to the left, the right, upwards, and down. If the key is damaged or bent, you will have to compensate for that damage in order to remove it. The lock’s cylinders can collect dirt, lint, and debris that will also make the key stick.

If that doesn’t work, go to the car’s battery and disconnect the negative terminal. This will allow any sensor that has failed to release the key. With the cable disconnected, attempt to remove the key. If the key pulls free, you will want to start by replacing your battery. With low power, certain components will attempt to work and then possibly fail.

If disconnecting the battery doesn’t work, get a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to inspect the stuck ignition key and remove it.