Q: My car runs but says no key detected.

asked by on June 29, 2017

I have a 2013 Nissan Maxima. The car starts and drives but always says No Key detected. I replaced the battery on the key but the No Key light keeps coming on. I want to know how to fix this problem because I do not want to risk the car not starting one of these days. The Key fob works. Only problem is that I still receive the No Key light on they dashboard. Thanks

There is a problem with either the key fob or the electronic control system in the car. Occasionally, cell phone interference causes issues with the system leading to the "no key" warning light. With regard to the key fob, I would first suggest going through the entire re-programming routine to see if that resolves the issue. If not, the next step would be to program a known good key fob. If that doesn’t resolve it, if the electronics controlling the system are flash programmable, any available software updates should be installed. If that doesn’t resolve it, there is a decision tree in the factory service manual which is used to "back in" to the origin of the problem. In your case, the controller is obviously sending a signal to illuminate the warning light. But, if no defect exists in the key fob, and there is no external RFI/EMI interference, it may be that the controller is bad. My guess is it’s a key fob issue and thus you should start be re-programming the key fob or trying a different one. If you want these steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an electrical component/circuit diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.