Q: My car makes a weird squeaking sound when I hit the accelerator.

My car makes this weird squeaking sound when I hit the accelerator

This is a common sign of a loose or worn belt. Over time, your car’s engine belts may become worn causing them to stretch. When this happens as you press the gas pedal and the belt goes from a relatively low speed (at idle or when first starting the car, no speed at all) to a much higher speed as the engine accelerates, this can cause the belts to squeak. This can happen when they stretch due to the fact that the pulleys on your car’s engine are turning faster than what the belt can keep up with when it is not tight against the pulley. This can also happen in extremely cold weather conditions due to the fact that the rubber belts become slightly brittle and less pliable in cold weather. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and tighten or replace your belts.

We had a 2012 Forte and recently traded it for a 2016 Forte. Great cars. Squealing under hood can be caused by a few different reasons. The serpentine belt can be a common cause. The A/C compressor, water pump, alternator, and power steering pump are driven by 1 serpentine belt. Since it is such a large belt, a belt tensioner helps to keep the belt tight and easy to remove and replace as well. If the belt is worn (dry, cracked,glazed) it can slip on acceleration and make a squealing sound. Also, if any of the pulleys on the alternator, p/s pump,etc, are worn or loose, they can cause the belt to squeal.

Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come inspect the vehicle to isolate the exact cause of the squealing sound.

3. My car makes a weird squeaking sound when I hit the accelerator.