Q: My car makes a loud screeching noise whenever I turn the ac on, it stops after a few seconds. Could this be a bad compressor?

My air conditioner blows cool air just fine however whenever I first turn the AC on it makes a terribly loud screeching noise for a few seconds and then stops. The noise doesn't happen again until I have shut the car off and cranked it again. Could this be a belt or compressor?

Hi there:

It is very possible that your AC compressor is the source of this type of noise. Much like other accessories driven by the engine’s belts, the AC compressor has several interior components and uses a sealed bearing to turn. If any of the interior components break, or the compressor’s internal bearings fail or seize, then all sorts of noises can be produced as a result. You might want to replace the AC compressor or have a professional mechanic complete an AC system inspection to determine why the noise exists and recommend the right repairs.

• My car makes a loud screeching noise whenever I turn the ac on, it stops after a few seconds. Could this be a bad compressor?