Q: My car makes a clunk noise when turning the wheel while parked

asked by on May 12, 2016

I have been noticing a noise while I am parked, and turning the steering left and right. It is a clunk sound, and the whole assembly seems to jolt when it clunks. I had my wife turn the wheel while I was under the vehicle, and I could see the whole rack moving when it clucks. I don't know if that is normal or not. I tried to wiggle it with my hands but there was no movement. I have OEM Titan LCA's with about 19,000 miles of use, and I just put on PRG Heim outer tie rod ends about 4,000 miles ago. The car has about 51,000 miles on it. I don't have a sway bar, but I do have a body lift. The inner tie rod ends are original. Any ideas what this could be?

Stabilizer Bar Bushings Replacement $83.74 - $156.85 Get a Quote
Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Normally, the noise you are describing is commonly seen with failed outer tie rods, failed CV axles, broken sway bar bushings and the steering linkage itself. With the modification of the vehicle, it can change the operation of components as they do not work as designed by the manufacturer. Once things have been modified, which can lead to more uncommon things being the cause. The Xterra as well as other Nissan vehicles are prone to a noise from the steering stop as well. I recommend having the noise inspected by a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic. They will be able to accurately diagnose the car and determine what repairs are needed.