Q: My car keeps dying while I'm driving - 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse

asked by on November 08, 2016

Ok so I bought this car very used and got my money out of it before I spun the flywheel. Well I thought it was Trans. So I swapped it myself. This is how I found out I have 420a with 41te Trans (Chrysler?!) So I am an electrical technician by trade and I have done all work myself the Trans went in and has been doing good. I have been having an issues recently though. First it was Egr valve insufficient flow, I took off cleaned and cleared next got code idle control system I changed IAC got code for over voltage on tps so changed tps all codes cleared and have not returned but I was driving going about 50 and hit some train tracks and car tried to die SRS, mil, and brake light came on then car was back to normal I hit gas pedal and died again then back to normal and just continued to drive to work. It did the same 3 more times never could pull code the one time I got one code it said p1899. Thank you for help if you can, I am learning as I fix so please bare with me.

Check the transmission range selector for a loose connection and make sure it is tight on the transmission. The code is coming up for the transmission range selector saying that the transmission is in gear and park at the same time. Only a loose connection or a bad range selector can cause this issue if the vehicle is still drivable. If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can assist you with the stalling issue.