Q: My car jerks/pulls when letting off the gas pedal

I recently bought a used 2007 Saturn Ion with 66k miles on it. The dealer that I bought it from said that it was pre inspected and all fluids were changed. I have noticed that the car will start to jerk/pull when I let off the gas pedal. It is only noticeable at speeds of 45 mph or higher. It doesn't happen when I accelerate or decelerate, only when I take my foot off the gas to coast. I don't hear any unusual noises, the car sounds fine. I did notice fluid on the ground after I had my car on and AC running for about 5 minutes, but figured it was from having the AC on. Thanks for your help.

Hello. A few of the things that could produce the symptoms you are experiencing are a dirty throttle body, or perhaps worn motor mounts.

Your vehicle uses an electronic throttle body, that is an engine throttle plate that is actuated electronically. Over time the throttle plate can build up varnish and grime from the fuel, which can interfere with the operation of the throttle plate. A stuck or binding throttle plate, either as a result of grime, or a faulty throttle body motor can produce the symptoms you are experiencing.

Worn motor mounts can also produce similar symptoms. Worn mounts can cause the vehicle to jerk as a result of the engine moving back and forth in the engine bay.

Due to the very specific conditions that cause the problem to occur I would recommend having the vehicle driven and diagnosed by a professional technician, to help determine the exact cause of the jerking/pulling issue.