Q: My car is over heating. It doesn't take long for it to over heat till it is smoking and I have to turn the car off.

I wanted to know why would my car over heating it doesn't take long for the car to over heat where its smoking and I have to turn the car off.

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

There are a couple of possibilities for such a rapid overheating situation. The thermostat may have failed in the "closed" position preventing the hot water from circulating and cooling in the radiator. The water pump or the serpentine drive belt may have failed and the hot water does not get circulated through the radiator.

If one of the head gaskets on the engine has failed, combustion gasses from one or more cylinders can "superheat" engine coolant very quickly. If the coolant level is low and there are air pockets in the engine, the coolant is literally "boiled away" inside the engine, creating far higher temperatures than an engine that is "full of coolant".

It is recommended that you get a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to perform an inspection and determine the cause of the overheating.

• My car is over heating. It doesn't take long for it to over heat till it is smoking and I have to turn the car off.