2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser, hesitant starting, but will sta...

Q: 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser, hesitant starting, but will start, sometimes cuts off while driving, fuel pump is good, get code1389

asked by on June 03, 2017

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser, 89, 000 miles. NO check engine light, hesitant starting, NO dimming of lights or unusual sounds, eventually will start after turning over 3-5, most times it starts right up, sometimes cuts off while driving,(that just began happening), didn't happen for close to a month than began again, had a pressure test done on fuel pump but indicates good, diagnostic machine is flagging no codes so they can't state exactly what's causing it, they advised me to take it to dealer to have it tested on more advanced diagnostic machine. I found a way to check for codes by putting key in ignition and turning it without cranking it 3 times and got a code P1389, could it be automatic relay switch? Wal-Mart battery is 4 months old, shop stated it had low voltage, Wal-Mart tested it, it was good, shop put it back in, ran car for a little while and it indicated voltage was good. Thank you

Hi There, Code P1389 indicates the ASD (Automatic Shut Down) relay is faulty or has low voltage. This can be tested for resistance and should have between 30-70 ohms. This may explain the hard starting as this relay provides power to the fuel pump, ignition coil, fuel injectors and parts of the PCM (Power Control Module). If this relay is faulty or working intermittently, this will cause the relay to intermittently cut power to any of these components, resulting in the hard starting or even stalling in some cases. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.