Q: My car is only 3 years old. Should I be suspicious that the starter went out?

I bought my car used in April and the starter has already failed. I have never had this happen to cars I've owned for many years. The Carfax was clear when I bought it from the dealer. Isn't this odd?

Hi, thanks for writing in. A starter like any other mechanical and electrical part is subject to failing sometimes for no apparent reason. However, sometimes this is misdiagnosed as well and often times mistaken for something much more simple like a fuse or starter relay. The starter relay is a small unit near the starter that directs power to the starter from the battery. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect your starter for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

3. My car is only 3 years old. Should I be suspicious that the starter went out?