Q: Have a 2010 Camaro V6 with error code P0008. 2010 Chevrolet Camaro V6

asked by on March 17, 2017

I have a 2010 camaro v6 with error code P0008. I believe it's a stretched timing chain. What should I do? Can you replace this?

Hi there. P0008 is a generic OBD-II code indicating an issue with the engine control module (ECM) detecting a variation in the mechanical timing between the crankshaft and bank 1 camshaft. The ECM uses sensors to detect the position of the crankshaft and camshaft(s). From these sensor signals, the ECM controls ignition and fuel timing under various speeds and loads. Although it is possible the timing chain might be damaged, this is highly unlikely. It is probable that the issue is caused by a faulty crankshaft or camshaft position sensor. To correctly diagnose this issue, a detailed inspection would be required; but replacing the timing chain and internal components along with it could be costly.

The P0008 code refers to three different things that could be wrong. One is the timing chain could be stretched. Two is the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft could have moved. Three could be an issue with the timing chain tensioner not tighten the chain up all the way keeping slack in the chain. If you need further assistance with your timing being off, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.