Q: Truck makes ticking sound and idles hard

asked by on February 11, 2016

When I start my truck, it makes a ticking sound and idles hard.

Idle Control Valve Replacement $146.15 - $920.51 Get a Quote

The ticking noise is more than likely a lifter tick. Sometimes you can perform an engine flush to get some of the ticking out but the only sure way is to replace the lifter. The rough idle is usually caused by a dirty Idle Air Control Valve. I would have a technician from YourMechanic come out and run a diagnosis on the computer and replace the Idle Air Control valve if needed.