Q: Q: my car is misfiring

My car started sputtering and later the service engine code came on so i had the codes ran and they are showing cylinder misfiring the shop told me my dme is fried. I would like to get a second opinion . They did replace all spark plugs. do you think the dme could really be fried? My car has 70000 miles.

The DME is a possible failure for the misfire for your 2002 BMW M3. A complete pinpoint test for the codes would need to be done to rule out anything like coils or plugs. Your shop replaced the plugs and should have performed the pinpoint test to come to the conclusion that the DME is bad. Make sure you ask them what made them come to the conclusion it was bad, and what else may cause the problem since the DME may have been burned out by a short in the system. If you want to have an independent mechanic come to you to scope out the problem, a certified technician from YourMechanic can diagnose the misfiring issue and advise you on any repairs that are needed.

3. Q: my car is misfiring