Q: loud noise from drivers side rear wheel

loud noise espicially with increased speed.. Was told its the carrier bearing and or axle shaft bearing.. Dealer cost about 3k

If a bearing in the differential has failed, the differential has to be opened up and rebuilt or replaced. You just want to make sure that the noise is not from a failed wheel bearing because if you have a failed bearing, it is vastly easier to replace. Prior to doing anything, it would have to be conclusively diagnosed because you don’t want to remove the differential only to find out that the problem is a wheel bearing. Remote chassis ears can be used to pin down the origin of the noise. There are several repair options if you have a failed differential bearing: 1) rebuild what you have; 2) buy and installed a re-manufactured complete axle that includes the differential; and 3) buy a used complete axle from a reputable used parts dealer. If you are interested in an axle replacement and/or rebuild, YourMechanic professionals in certain locales can undertake that. Please simply inquire based on your locale. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

3. loud noise from drivers side rear wheel