Q: My car is making a grinding noise and smoking

After starting car, there is a grinding, whirring sound from engine. After a few minutes it begins to smoke some. Shutting engine off, smoking stops immediately. There are no puddles of any kind on the ground

A: Hi there - This sounds ominous. It's di...

Hi there - This sounds ominous. It's difficult to tell from afar, but one culprit could be a failed alternator bearing, and the smoke is indicative of an electrical short, which is never a good thing. It could also be the accessory belt idler pulley. If it has seized, the smoke is coming from the belt itself, which is being forced to slide over a pulley that is no longer rotating. I would recommend having an inspection completed by a mobile, professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can come to your location, diagnose your noise and smoke problems, give you an accurate assessment of damage, and provide a cost estimate for repairs.