Q: my car idles high and will not shift out of first gear

the car idles high and will got shift and sometime will not start. when it does start it will not shift I have to do it by hand and it will only go 10 mph

Hello - there are several problems which could cause the behavior you mention. A failed throttle position sensor can cause the high idle, and poor shift/no shift behavior you describe since the engine & transmission communicate with each other over how much the gas pedal is depressed. Any problem codes that are set (whether the Check Engine is illuminated or not) are valuable for diagnosis - most auto parts stores will read these for free for you. I would recommend having a car is hard to shift completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. my car idles high and will not shift out of first gear