Q: my car gear is stuck in drive but the gear shift goes to park car is in acc postion wont crank or swicth to off to remove the key

asked by on July 10, 2016

i drove into my driveway and put gear shift to park proceed to put key in off postion to take out and it wont go pass ACC and wont come out. Also gear dial is lite up on drive but the gear shift is in park

Car is not shifting into park Inspection $94.99 - $114.99 Get a Quote

Hi there, thanks for writing in.

It sounds like you most likely have a broken shift cable, or a failed shifter assembly. A failure of either part would allow you to move the shifter handle to park, while the transmission actually remains in drive. Because it could be either of these parts, I would recommend having a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your shift issue.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr