Q: My alarm keeps going off and car won't start after changing battery, what can be wrong?

After changing the battery on my 2008 RAV4 the alarm continually keeps going off and the car won't start. I tried locking and locking the door with the key but it's not working I also tried disconnecting the positive terminal and leaving the driver door opened and it worked the first time but after the alarm went off again, I tried that and it didn't work. Now every time I tried to turn on the car the alarm goes off and then I hear this clicking noise for a while and then it stopped.

Hello, and thank you for writing in. When dealing with alarm and starting issues, you are really dealing with a miscommunication with the alarm system. If you have a spare key, try using it to disarm the system and start it. You may also want to try key cycling ("Off"-"On" without starting), as it will make the computer reset its communication with all of the modules. It usually takes 3-5 cycles to achieve any kind of reset. Often with newer models, giving the vehicle some time to sit and trying again later helps the computer work through its programming, and it can reset itself. The longer the vehicle sits, more of the systems will shut off, and more of these systems have to restart when you try again (as some systems do NOT turn off when you turn off the engine, and they continue to use electricity to hold memory). One of the other ideas to consider is that the new battery is not fully charged, or your battery terminals are not allowing for a proper connection (either because they are loose or dirty, or have a bad ground connection). If none of the above gives you control over the vehicle, then you need to seek professional help. Contact our service department for a quote or to schedule an appointment.

3. My alarm keeps going off and car won't start after changing battery, what can be wrong?