Q: my 93 honda civic screams when i start it. its currently cold outside. what is wrong with it?

the noise is kind of a screaming sound. but when i rev my engine it stops.

A: Hello. The most common cause of this noise ...

Hello. The most common cause of this noise is either a loose drive belt on the engine or the alternator is failing. Most of the time I will start by checking the belts. If the belt is fine and tight then I remove it and spin each pulley by hand to see if any of them are making the noise. Most of the time the failure is in the alternator itself, though it can also be one of the other pulleys. If you want to have this loud engine screeching noise looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair the issue.