Q: My 90 Camry, V6 is shaking when idle and a lot of white smoke coming out off the exhaust pipe.

My car shakes when in idle and white smoke is coming out of the echaust pipe

I have the 1991 V-6 version of this car. They are indestructible (I’ve had mine for 26 years). Were it not for rust, you and I would probably have the car for another 30 years! White smoke in the exhaust is typically a symptom of coolant leaking into the combustion chambers possibly from a failed head gasket. Are you experiencing loss of coolant? If so, the engine will have to be inspected and probably rebuilt. That is not a big deal as I had mine out a year ago, just to replace all the seals that were leaking. If the coolant is leaking that may be a part cause of the rough idle and so that problem would be resolved during the rebuild. Other causes of rough idle are wrong base timing which is adjustable on this car, and problems with the fuel injectors and ignition system. If you do rebuild the engine be absolutely sure you do not attempt to re-use the original knock sensor wiring harness. Inasmuch as that harness is under the intake manifold the harness bakes and once removed circuit integrity is gone. The knock sensor harness is no longer available from Toyota (or anywhere) and I had to fabricate a custom harness using another Toyota model (the harness is shielded for RFI/EMI; it is not an ordinary wire and so has to be put together). If you want the potential head gasket leak diagnosed, please request an engine cooling system leak diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. My 90 Camry, V6 is shaking when idle and a lot of white smoke coming out off the exhaust pipe.