my 2008 impala has a high pitch "whine" noise when i star...

Q: my 2008 impala has a high pitch "whine" noise when i start in cold weather and sometimes "whine" turning the wheel too

asked by on March 08, 2018

my 2008 impala has a high pitch "whine" noise when i start in cold weather and sometimes "whine" turning the wheel too and then the "whine" is louder and gets gritty or maybe lower? the whine noise seems to go away once it gets warmer. i noticed it started around last fall

Whining noise is often traced to the power steering pump. Among the things to check are low fluid level in the pump reservoir, air in the fluid, degraded fluid, and inadequate tension on the pump drive belt. The pump itself can also develop internal mechanical problems which will lead to noise. If you request a vehicle noise diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will pinpoint the origin of the noise and let you know of any required repairs that will resolve this issue. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.