Q: Car turned off & wont start after oil was empty

asked by on July 05, 2017

Hi, I was driving around looking for a parking spot to see the fireworks, and suddenly my car turned off. I tried turning it on but it wouldnt work. I checked the oil and the motor oil was empty, the transmission oil seemed low. I have a leak in the transmission line fitting to the radiator but it was managable by filling it up with oil every month or few months. Is there anything I can do to solve this and turn it back on? Perhaps by filling it with transmission oil too? I towed it home, but now I cant go to school in the morning, while I have an exam. Hope to hear from you soon and hope you had a better 4th of July than I did. Thank you!

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

If the car shut off because it was low on oil, there was probably serious engine damage. But when that happens the shut off is usually preceded by a lot of knocking and other engine noise and maybe overheating. It could be that something else failed that caused the engine to shut off and you were actually lucky not to continue to drive it while it was low on oil. There isn’t much you can do without a scanner except look under the hood for air hoses or wires that are damaged or disconnected. Either way I suggest you line up some other transportation for exams and meanwhile, you can contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come out to your home to check out your Jeep and let you know why it shut off and what can be done about it.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr