Q: Cranks but doesn't start and also I don't see the rpm move when I try to start, what should I do? - 2002 Nissan Altima

asked by on November 28, 2016

My 2002 Nissan Altima cranks but won't start, the rpm doesn't move either, I smell gas when I try to start. What can I do?

Hello - I suspect your crankshaft position sensorhas failed. This sensor provides the ignition system with timing information - when to fire each spark plug. This sensor is also the trigger for the tachometer, since it is counting engine revolutions while sending timing information. I would recommend an engine inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.