Q: Motor rattles around randomly leaks fluid

asked by on November 07, 2015

Very disappointed with the state of things in my 2006 Toyota Highlander that only has 76,000 miles on it. The bolts holding the engine in place have become loose and the sound it makes when its running is just awful. Aside from that, I am pretty sure there is fluid leaking out because I keep finding greasy spots under the car in the driveway. This is not an easy-to-fix issue, so am I looking at a full engine replacement to get this fixed?

This is a common problem with the Toyota 2AZ-FE engine. The bolts that are referenced are actually the cylinder head bolts. Due to a design flaw, the bolts strip out of the engine block, causing head gasket issues. Toyota released technical service bulletin (TSB) 0015-11 in March 2011 that deals specifically with this problem. The TSB calls for replacement of all of the head bolts as well as inserting new threads into the engine block. Your local Toyota dealer may cover these repairs under warranty if you contact them and tell them about the TSB. Optimally, the entire engine won’t have to be replaced, but if there is fluid leakage and abnormal noise, cylinder head replacement/refurbishment may be required. A certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, can diagnose the fluid leak at the convenience of your home or office and recommend a course of action.