Q: metallic buzzing/vibrating noise when accelerating.

There is a metallic buzzing/vibrating noise when I accelerate. Also happens when cruising in a higher gear and hitting the gas slightly. Sounds like a heat sheild, but they all seem ok. Used to think it was the exhaust vibrating against the gas tank heat sheild (custom exhaust didn't fit quite right and real close to it) I got it fixed at a shop, but now the noise seems louder. Can't tell where it's coming from. Sometimes sounds like it's at the front of the car under the dashboard. Sometimes sounds like the exhaust at the back. Only the axle back exhaust was swapped. Could it be transmission? Dont seem to feel the vibrations, just the noise. 2015 lancer gt at 30k miles with manual transmission.

Can you create the noise when the vehicle is stationary, in neutral, at any engine RPM level? If not, then the origin is more likely to be the clutch/transmission especially if the sound is closer a buzz/whine than "metallic" buzzing alone. There are remote wireless, miniature clip on microphones that mechanics can use to pinpoint the origin of noises and vibrations when the source is not obvious. There are multiple of them and they feed to a receiver in the passenger compartment. While driving the mechanic just switches between the pick-ups, again distributed throughout the car, thereby pinpointing the origin of the noise. There are other techniques to pinpoint the noise as well. If you desire a diagnostic to pinpoint the origin of the noise, please use YourMechanic’s vehicle noise diagnostic service request page and the responding certified mechanic will definitely find the origin of the noise and explain your repair options in detail. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

3. metallic buzzing/vibrating noise when accelerating.