Q: Lubrication for the U-joints on a 2003 F-150

I'm changing universal joints on my 2003 F-150's driveshaft. Is there a specific kind of grease for lubrication?

Yes. But, if you are buying new U-joints, they come pre-lubricated these days. If they don’t, when you buy the joints for Ford, it’ll tell you which lubricant to use. If you are buying at an auto parts store, they can look it up and sell you the correct lubrication that goes on a grease gun to grease it up.

Most come pre-greased these days. If they don’t, ask them and they’ll sell you the right grease for it because there are different greases out there. A lot of companies use completely different greases that are incompatible. So, make sure you get the right one when you do change it. But when you buy the U-joints, you’ll see that they are already lubed, so you don’t have to worry about it. Some of them have grease fittings and then you are going to have to buy some grease for the right ones. If they don’t have grease fittings, then they will already come pre-lubed. If you need help, a certified mechanic can provide you the correct grease and lubricate your U-joints for you.

3. Lubrication for the U-joints on a 2003 F-150