Q: SUV won't accelerate properly after 2 hours of driving

After driving at higher speeds on the interstate for over 2 hours, I can't accelerate properly. For example, it won't rev over 2000 RPMs and slows to almost 50 going uphill. It's dangerous when I need to quickly accelerate like when an 18-wheeler is tailing me. I can put it in Neutral and that works great, so this only happens in Drive. There aren't any warning lights, nor any displays. Naturally the dealership can't drive for 2 hours, so they can't see what happens. What will solve this dilemma?

The CVT transmission on the vehicle may go into what is called ’transmission safe mode’ if it is overheating. The safe mode will cause low engine power, and limited shifting of the CVT system. This could be caused by incorrect transmission fluids or the engine coolant is not the correct mixture of coolant and water. If the condenser in front of the radiator has limited air flow the temperature will rise, causing the transmission to go into the fail safe mode. Have the transmission fluid and coolant serviced using the correct fluids recommended by Nissan only. Have the cooling system checked for proper operation. Perform technical bulletin NTB 14-002C for installing an extra transmission cooler to keep the problem from happening again. If you need assistance with this, have a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your car’s acceleration issue and make the necessary repairs for you.