Q: Loud squealing - 2002 Chrysler Town & Country

asked by on November 08, 2016

A few months ago I had I guys change serpentine belt and a part with that well a few weeks later it started squeaking again I just blew it off because I couldn't afford to fix it again right after I just fixed it... (We live paycheck to paycheck & have 6 kids) anyway months have gone by and now it's real bad it squeals real loud when it's running even worse when I accelerate, the rain it's even louder, also if I go thru a big puddle the steering locks up and I can't even turn. Today I noticed a slight burnt smell. I know it could have just been loose after it was fixed or something and I waited to long now the belts breaking? But anyways I'm just trying to see if u can pinpoint what I need done so I don't have to pay for an inspection as well, I just can't afford to get inspection & pay for the problem. So if u could lmk exactly what to fix I would like to set that up... Or if possibly under warranty that would be awesome but if not it's cool. Thanks for your time -- vanessa

Hi Vanessa. Any of the pulleys that the belt rides on could be faulty or there could be something leaking onto the belt causing it to make the noise and worsen. For an issue like this, a proper diagnosis of your concern will be necessary as I cannot see your vehicle and the components. YourMechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with a squeal noise inspection if you decide to get these issues fixed. The inspection for diagnosis is credited to the repair so long as the repair appointment is booked once the diagnosis has occurred. Best of luck.