Q: Loud screaming behind engine manifold

I think I have a problem with the automatic transmission. I can hear a loud screaming of metal grinding behind the engine manifold. It only makes the sound in first or second gear. I have inspected the motor mounts, belts, and tensioners, and they all check out okay.

Since this noise only occurs in first and second gear and does not happen in any other speed ranges, it is most likely tied to an internal issue in the transaxle. All of the other rotating items such as motor mounts, pulleys, etc. will tend to make noises in any speed range. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who has the expertise to diagnose the noise and recommend a proper course of repair.

3. Loud screaming behind engine manifold