Q: How do I properly install a transmission pan back on?

When putting a transmission pan back on am I supposed to put a gasket maker or something on the gasket or just put some transmission fluid on it and torque it down to it's specification

When installing the pan, the mating surfaces of the transmission and the pan should be clean, dry, and free of debris. To assure a good seal, I will usually use some brake cleaner, acetone, or any other type of solvent that doesn’t leave a residue, on a rag to clean the surfaces. Once dry, I reinstall the pan onto the transmission with a dry, clean gasket.

If you apply transmission fluid to the gasket before installation, you are almost assured to have a problem. This can cause the gasket to leak, or worse, allow it to slide off to the side of the mating surface when tightened.

If you run into any issues, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to inspect and service your vehicle.