Q: Loud pop and difficult steering from loose front spring. 1997 Mercedes-Benz E300

Suddenly my car had a loud pop and then became extremely difficult to drive. I learned from the dealership that the front spring support (perch) had come loose from the frame rail. They proceeded to remove the front suspension and welded a new support to the frame, plus replaced the suspension. In my research at online forums, there are numerous other drivers with this E class that have experienced this same problem. From what I learned, the sealant fails which allows water to sit in the support joint where it is welded to the frame. In your experience, is there any way to prevent this from happening again?

There is not much that can be done to prevent something like this. I would suggest possibly having the same mechanic look into potentially welding that cavity area closed in an effort to not allow water to sit in this area in the future.

• Loud pop and difficult steering from loose front spring. 1997 Mercedes-Benz E300