Q: Loud noise

Going into the winter season, from the first very cold night (2ish weeks ago)I've noticed that every time it's really cold out and my jeep sits for a while when I go to start it up it makes a loud whining sound it used to be short now it's louder and longer. After I've got it warmed up and driven it a while and turn it on again,there's no noise. Also, today I went to turn it on after it sat for a while and it took a longer time than normal before it finally started which is very unusual. Please help !

Hi there:

When it’s really cold outside, pliable components like serpentine and drive belts tend to become stiff and harder than usual. In some cases, the loud noise can be caused by a belt that is loose or too tight. As the belt moves, it creates heat and friction and the noise will go away. It’s also possible that power steering fluid is either low or again, thicker than it usually is due to the extreme cold that could be causing this noise. The best way to know for certain is have a professional mobile mechanic complete a car is making a noise inspection.