Loss of power, no check engine light. v8-5.4l 2002 f-150 ...

Q: Loss of power, no check engine light.

asked by on September 29, 2016

My truck out of nowhere started having a loss of power. I have been told either fuel related or a clogged cat. My question is if it's a clogged cat wouldn't the check engine light come on?

Hi, thanks for your question. I’d be happy to help. The clogged converter may or may not give a code. If it gives a code, it would be for an O2 sensor code. I recommend checking the fuel pressure and the mass airflow sensor. The mass air sensor can be temporary disconnected to see if you gain back some power. If the sensor is suspected to be the problem, I recommend cleaning it first, or replacing it.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.