Q: Leaking coolant, dripping off engine block near oil filter. 2006 Dodge Ram 1500

My coolant is leaking at a significant rate, I usually have to fill it up every two-three weeks, the coolant is dripping off underneath the oil filter on the engine block, also beneath the alternator. This leads me to believe its the water pump. I am not sure if it is the bearing in the water pump or gasket? I know it is simply an impeller but I do not know how long I have to fix it before it can cause damage. If it just means me filling the coolant up for now until I have the money to fix it then I am ok, but I want to make sure it wont get worse or cause some other damage other than the coolant running low. How long can I go before getting it repaired and what will have to be repaired? The whole water pump or is there a specific part and does it sound like the water pump to you?

Hi - yes, almost certainly this is the water pump bearing seal leaking. I would replace the water pump immediately. Modern water pumps have a remarkable ability to hold water right up to the instant they fail completely - resulting in overheating. I would recommend an immediate water pump replacement](https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/water-pump-replacement) by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• Leaking coolant, dripping off engine block near oil filter. 2006 Dodge Ram 1500