Q: Leaking brake fluid

Hi I have had a grinding brake the last few days, I presume it is a worn brake pad. Now the brake pedal has become very spongy and there is fluid on the ground after i press the pedal.. could it just be a worn pad or something more serious?

It is possible that the brakes have worn to a point that the caliper piston has moved past where the seal is located on the piston and is allowing fluid to escape. If it is leaking on a drum brake, the same theory would apply, only it could be that the piston in the brake cylinder would be the culprit. The grinding could be from the brake material being worn away and letting the metal base wearing on the rotor. The brake system is meant to be a sealed system, and with the loss of fluid from the system, is more than likely allowing air into the system and causing the spongy pedal. In any event, you need to have an inspection done to diagnose where and what the failure actually is, and get it repaired. I would not suggest driving the vehicle in this state, as it can very easily cause an unsafe driving condition. If you feel you need some help in identifying/repairing the problem, contact a certified mechanic, like the mobile mechanics at YourMechanic.com.